Search engine optimization (also known as SEO) refers to the concept of creating content that utilizes the words and phrases that are most commonly associated with a particular website or company. This is a fairly common practice in this day and age. Proper SEO usage is a crucial component of successful online marketing. The better a company understands its SEO potential, the better equipped it will be to apply it to content that will give them the ability to stand out from the crowd on search engines like Google and Bing.
That’s the theory behind search engine optimization. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work like that.
The Downside Of Search Engine Optimization
The websites that top Google, Bing, and other search engines are not necessarily the ones that contain the content most relevant to what the user is searching for. It has been possible since the dawn of SEO for a company to study, learn, and eventually manipulate the way search engines calculated information. This means that although website A might have the best SEO content possible, website B may still show up more favorably in search engine results. Simply because website B knew how to utilize the technical tricks necessary to influence the algorithms of Google or Bing.
These practices have made it difficult for businesses to compete on fair terms. However, all hope is not lost. Google, Bing, and all the other search engines are becoming more and more adept at identifying disingenuous SEO utilization. For websites trying to use SEO to cheat the system, accomplishing that goal is no longer a straightforward matter. Search engines are getting smarter. The playing field is at long last becoming increasingly leveled.
What does that mean for your website? The Current State Of SEO
Although it’s true that having a technical insight into search engine optimization can be extremely beneficial, the fact of the matter is that SEO is changing. What was once a tragically corrupt concept is now getting back to what it was designed to accomplish in the first place. That means true SEO potential is being realized by websites that understand how to create engaging, appealing content that takes into consideration the keywords and phrases associated with their target market. With an increasingly encouraging frequency, that’s what search engines are looking for when determining and arranging search engine rankings.
There has never been a better time than now for a company to research their SEO keywords and phrases and create content accordingly.
In terms of search engine optimization and the search engines themselves, several things are being utilized in the rush to create the best SEO content possible:
- An understanding of a site’s metadata, whether or not the HTML code is clean, and whether or not the inner workings of the site overall are fundamentally functional.
- The ability to apply proper research methods to finding and understanding the keywords and phrases that should be kept in mind while crafting SEO content. It is also crucial to conduct a competitive analysis of what similar companies and websites are utilizing in terms of their SEO content. It is not advisable for a company to go about crafting SEO content through guesswork.
- An understanding of the various avenues that are available for creating SEO content. These avenues can include a blog post, a press release, an article, a white paper, a news story, and much, much more.
- An understanding of how “social sharing” relates to SEO. The number of people sharing your content across social media and the ways in which they are sharing has become strong influences on search engine rankings.
- The ability to use analytical tools to determine user behavior.